, social magazine

Students and graduates: Do you know when to pay social security contributions?

Future graduates of secondary schools and universities often ask whether social security premiums must be paid after graduation. However, this depends on the specific situation. We bring you an overview of the most typical "from the source", from the CSSA.

After leaving school

By the end of the study, the obligation to pay the premiums does not arise, this obligation is usually related to the commencement of gainful employment. Therefore, if the graduate remains unemployed after graduation, regardless of whether he or she is registered or not registered at the employment office, he / she does not have to pay the social insurance premium. However, he / she has the option to apply for voluntary pension insurance if he / she wishes to be retired in the future.

After taking up employment

When a graduate enters employment, social security obligations are fulfilled by his employer - that is, he carries out social security contributions for employees and sends statutory information and documents (the pension insurance record sheet) to the CSSA's records. This does not apply only to so-called small-scale employment, where the income does not reach CZK 2,500 per calendar month, and in the case of an activity performed under an agreement to perform the work, if the amount of the intakable income in the month does not exceed CZK 10,000.

When starting a business

Business start-up, specifically self-employment, should be reported to the District Social Security Administration (OSSZ) by place of residence. If business is the main activity, payment of pension insurance is obligatory. If business is ancillary activity, which is eg when studying (including brigades), the obligation to pay retirement insurance depends on the amount of income earned.

In the holiday brigade

If the holiday brigade is an activity that creates a participation in the insurance, the employer fulfills the duties towards the CSSA as a student student. The period of such a brigade can then be counted towards entitlement to a future pension.

When traveling abroad

Non-paid students and social insurance do not have any obligation towards the CSSA even when traveling abroad for a placement or study stay. The CSSA does not have to report anything in these cases. If they work abroad, it is necessary to know that within the EU, social security rules apply to European social security rules, which determine the social security system to be covered by insurance premiums. It usually goes into the system of the state where the work is done. The obligations in a particular state need to be reported to the relevant state institution.

For specific questions regarding pension, sickness and social security insurance, please contact OSSZ experts without worry.

Source: tz CSSA , edited editorially

Like FiftyFifty article:

All articles 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013 on